Monday 23 June 2008

And Then We Die

What are we trading for? The bottom line is surely “to improve our lives”. My social life for the past two and a half years has by necessity been seriously curtailed, but this has been a price worth paying because I have been able to make a very decent second income from it.

But what good is extra money if you never get a chance to really enjoy it, and drop dead from a heart-attack at the age of 60? Not much really. Life is short, and it’s easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of money-making and miss out on what is really important.

I have been looking at my spreadsheet which I have diligently maintained since January 1, 2006, and of the 905 days since then, I have traded on all but 69 of them. Family vacations and a trip to Germany for the World Cup account for most of those days, so many months I am trading every single day.

Is it worth it? In the short-term, the answer has to be 'yes', but where does it end? The expression ‘make hay while the sun shines’ comes to mind, because whilst for now I am able to make profits, I am well aware that this may not always be so. Markets can change in an instant.

Fortunately, I have a very understanding girlfriend who understands the rewards of what I do, but for many people I imagine this is not the case and relationships are suffering.

For now I shall carry on, but I do need to make a point of exercising regularly. I have noticed my weight start to increase slowly but steadily this year and I’m pretty sure that spending most of my spare time sitting on my arse trading is not the healthiest of lifestyles.

Anyone fancy a friendly challenge to see who can drop the most weight between now and Xmas? I’m at 16 stone 3.8lbs right now. First goal 16 stone. Time for another spreadsheet.

2 comments:

amorphous said...

Re losing weight -

I noticed several years ago that I was becoming a fat b**tard!!!

I decided to do something about it, so I took up martial arts and kickboxing. Apart from the fact I am about 15 years older than most of the guys, I find its a great fun way to workout and lose a few pounds.

I would heartily recommend it!!

Cassini said...

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've had two knee surgeries and I'm not sure kicking people would be good for it! (That's why I had to quit with the whole football hooligan thing. Well, that and the terms of my parole...) I'm thinking of cycling for starters and then getting back into running which I used to do a lot.