Monday 23 March 2020

Glorious Twelfth

This blog has now been active for a full 12 years, after debuting in March 2008 with this opening post

My usual anniversary joke can be seen here, and the blog is now up to 2,686 posts, but it's not the funniest of jokes and probably most of us aren't in the mood to joke much these days.

Keeping the blog going when the profits are flowing sounds very poetic, but it's true. With nothing to bet on, there's not exactly much to write about and while it seems like this is the perfect time to look at past data and research, I'm struggling to motivate myself to be honest. 

Not only are there more important things to concern us, but the return of sports is likely to be several weeks or months away.

I mentioned that I was planning to watch an MLR game here yesterday, but the entire season has now been cancelled, as has the XFL season although I have no interest in that.

My trip to Queensland in July is looking less and less likely, and it wouldn't be a surprise to see Crystal Palace, and less importantly West Ham United, announce a change in plans anyway. They may well be busy completing the 2019-20 season. I'll take that right now.

If I think of anything interesting or relevant to write about I will post, but it's looking like I'll be stateside for a while. 

It's probably only a matter of time before California upgrades the current 'stay-at-home' order to a 'shelter-in-place' one followed by the total lock-down now in place in my ancestral homeland Italy.

Looking at the latest numbers, the CFR for Italy is now a terrifying 9.3%, (this is what happens when the curve isn't flattened and health systems are swamped) for the UK it is 4.9% and for the USA it is 1.3%.

As hospitals reach full capacity and run out of equipment in the UK and USA as now seems inevitable, not only will more patients die of the virus, but additional patients with other illnesses will also die as they can't get the treatment they need, although these will not be included in the official COVID-19 numbers.

Stay safe and stay home.
 

No comments: