Monday 5 January 2009

The Long-Term View

January always seems to be a dramatic month for me. January of 2007 saw my worst ever month, with the reason being a lack of patience following a few days away, and a consequent recklessness to start the year off with a big win. 

It didn’t work. I couldn’t buy a win for love nor money, whereas in 2008, January was one of those months where everything seemed to go perfectly according to plan. I am hoping 2009 will be a repeat of last year.


A few days away from the Internet and betting does allow time for reflection. 

As I have written previously on this blog, I do not believe in setting goals per se, but paradoxically, I am aware that I have a tendency to do this.

One downside of keeping records on a daily basis is that my aversion to a loss is magnified. Over a three day period, I might have two wins of £100 and one loss of £140, and a net total of £60 profit, but it is far more pleasing to me if the three days all reflected profits of £20. It makes no sense I know, and I would probably be better served by totalling up my numbers on a more infrequent basis.

I have become aware that despite my reluctance to admit to it, my daily profit level does affect how I react to a situation. My investment goal for 2009 is to change this.

No comments: