Saturday 13 April 2019

The Importance of Assuming Positive Intent

The NBA Playoffs start this evening, and there are some strong trends on the Totals in the first round that I'll again be following this season.

The numbers won't convince TechnoRondo, but I like them, going back eight seasons to the 2010-11 season, and profitable in every season since 2011-12. 

I was thinking of tweeting the details for your consideration, but have had the misfortune to run into two rather dim and rude characters on that platform this morning, who seemed to have got far too confused by this screenshot from last night, and it's rather dissuaded me from wanting to share anything at all.  
As readers will know, the "Season" in my blog always refers to the year the season started, which is not a problem for MLB or WNBA, but can be confusing I guess, for sports that start in one year and conclude the next. So in the context of NHL playoffs, Season 2018 refers to this current season, as I also made clear in my blog:
It's really not rocket surgery, and if someone struggles with this, then they may well not be cut out for sports investing, clearly lacking the analytical skills required, but we go from my polite explanation to this accusation:
Two errors? I can't recall the last time I made ONE error, never mind two!

If / when I get a polite answer to 2 and 3, I might give the two teams and explain his error in logic, but I really don't understand the need to be rude just because you don't understand something. Based on this encounter, I'm thinking he must be rude all the time!

"Assume positive intent" is a good rule to live by. Don't accuse someone of falsifying data just because you can't work out the answer. 

1 comment:

Renato said...

please do elaborate on this...