Friday 12 September 2008

Comments on Betfair's Premium Charge

As some of you may have noticed, I am still a little upset about this new Premium Charge that Betfair are introducing. I have opened and re-activated accounts with BETDAQ and WBX respectively, and will be closely monitoring both those sites. I enjoy, and make my profits, in the markets that are relatively volatile - sports like cricket, baseball, basketball and American football. Whether the liquidity will be there or not remains to be seen, but I am more hopeful now than ever that at last there could be a serious challenge to Betfair's position as market leader.

Representatives at both WBX and BETDAQ expressed their delight and surprise at this change in fortune and this could be a very costly own goal by the executives at Betfair.

Rumours are spreading that Betfair may be in some financial trouble. I personally doubt it, but if they are, it is because they have spent too much money on unpopular products - games I have never heard of for example. Get back to being an exchange, match backers and layers, take your (fair) commission and leave it at that.

No comments: