Wednesday 14 April 2010

Swings


A losing day for Football Elite yesterday with the one Recommended Bet (Sporting Gijon) going down to a 0-2 defeat at home to Tenerife at 2.0.

The Sports Betting Professor, who I suspect isn't really a Professor at all, is now 12 winners from 26 selections, a situation described by him as 'finding our sea legs'. However, since many bets are on the underdog, this might actually not be too bad. I shall run the numbers when time permits.

Right now I am trying to recover from a record 32 point defeat at Backgammon to my son. The doubling got a little out of hand, and my 21 point lead earned over several nights was turned on its head by one big play that didn't quite come off. A little like my trading this month, or more accurately, a little like my trading period.

A quick look at the numbers shows that days where the profit is over £100 exceed days where losses of £100 by a ratio of 2.88 to 1, but when it comes to bigger amounts, the ratio drops significantly. 123 days have seen swings in excess of £1000 with 70 on the good side, but when it comes to the £3,000 days, for every 2 on the good side, 5 have been on the bad side.

Does this suggest that I am not letting the good trades run for long enough, or that I am not cutting the bad trades short quick enough? I think it's the latter, for the reason discussed a few posts ago - the inability to set a stop-loss. Many of the markets I trade are extremely volatile, and that is usually a good thing, but when those losing days come along, they do hurt. Even more than losing to my son at Backgammon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's probably because, like most "traders" you back at non-value prices and lay at non-value prices because you don't actually know what the prices should be.

That's all

Anonymous said...

To me it suggest you're crap at trading and just gambling to have a pnl with those type of daily profits.

But surely this isn't the same Cassini who continually tells us the amounts he makes are no ones elses business and refuses to ever validate his 'winnings' and now we're expected to believe he regulary makes 4 figure sums on a daily basis

nigel said...

How on earth do you expect us to believe you pay PC charges with such an erratic pnl?

Anonymous said...

Not sure Nigel but I do know Cassini will spend most of his next post concoting figures to try and prove it.

Nigel said...

Might take him a while if he needs to set aside some time to run the numbers on the SBP picks

"is now 12 winners from 26 selections, a situation described by him as 'finding our sea legs'. However, since many bets are on the underdog, this might actually not be too bad. I shall run the numbers when time permits."

FFS how hard can it be to work out if someones in profit from 12 winners out of 26 selections as I'm sure he was given the advised odds at the same time. Maybe he needs some time to do a bit of Cassini accounting on it :)

Anonymous said...

Aren't the SBP picks handicap as well? Makes it all the easier!