Saturday 8 October 2011

Crapshoot

The two best regular season teams in each Conference, the league best Philadelphia Phillies and the New York Yankees were both eliminated in the crap-shoot best-of-five Divisional Series in the last couple of days. The Phillies won 102 regular season games, yet lost to Wild Card St Louis Cardinals (90 wins), who came from 10.5 games back in late August to pip the Atlanta Braves to the Wild Card. Opposing the favourites in a short series can be a lucrative strategy. I think I'm right in saying that only twice in the last 15 seasons has the team with the best regular season record gone on to win the World Series. If I find time to confirm this during the International lull, I will, but even of I'm off by one or two, it's still a winning strategy.

No comments: