Wednesday 5 October 2011

Graham Dilley (1959-2011)

When I read of the death of someone a similar age to myself, it's always a reminder that I'm not getting any younger. Graham Dilley, the former Kent, Worcestershire and England bowler, died today, reportedly from liver cancer, at the age of 52.

The father of Worcester Warriors' captain Chris Pennell, Dilley is possibly best remembered for his Test Match debut in 1979 when he bowled to Australian Dennis Lillee who was caught by Peter Willey resulting in the classic scorecard entry of:

"Lillee c Willey b Dilley"
I used to think that 52 was a good innings. Not so much any more. Another reminder that our wins and losses on the exchanges are not quite as important as we sometimes imagine.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Cassini

You wrote

"I used to think that 52 was a good innings. Not so much any more."

I totally agree. Now that I’m approaching that score I think 90 is a good score. I call it moving my “stoploss”.

You also wrote
“Another reminder that our wins and losses on the exchanges are not quite as important as we sometimes imagine.”

I would also add that when we hear news like this we should look at what we’re doing and if we’re not enjoying it: Stop!

If we are enjoying it: Go for it!!

Best Regards
Mark

Sports Punter said...

Everyone forgets the supporting role he played in that Epic Test, Headingly 1981. I guess you have to be of a certain age, unfortunately many of us are.

Echo your comments, some things in life are more important than a P&L.

RIP